Courses-Frequently Asked Questions


What is a Colloquium?

Colloquia are courses numbered 160-190 for undergraduate students and 260-290 for graduate students. They are run more like graduate seminars than undergraduate lectures in that enrollment is capped at 20 (usually 15 undergraduate seats, and 5 graduate seats) to facilitate small group discussions of the many assigned readings. The course culminates in a final research paper that for undergraduate students usually fulfills the Significant Writing Requirement for their college. Undergraduate majors are required to take one colloquium but may take more. Undergraduate students in the Honors Program are required to take two colloquia in addition to HITO 196-Honors Seminar.

Enrolling in a Colloquium

To enroll in a colloquium you will need to request Department Approval by using the Course Pre-Authorization Request tool. In the justification field please answer the following questions:
  • Why are you interested in taking the class?
  • Have you taken any history classes before?
  • Have you taken any other course on this period?
  • How heavy is your schedule? -- we will have a lot of reading and writing.
  • What kinds of papers have you written before? 

What is an Independent Study (198/199) course?

Students who enroll in Independent Study courses work one-on-one with a tenured professor to develop a course of study (often a combination of reading, writing, or research) with a workload that is appropriate for the number of units the student would like to complete. This agreement is defined on the Special Studies Enrollment form (hard copies of the form are available in the Undergraduate Student Affairs office). 

Workload per Unit Hours
1 unit = 30 hours a term (3 hours a week)
2 unit = 60 hours a term (6 hours a week)
3 unit = 90 hours a term (9 hours a week)
4 unit = 120 hours a term (12 hours a week)

How To Request Enrollment in Special Studies Classes

Where can I find a course syllabus?

Please go to to download current and past course syllabi. If a syllabus is not listed there, please contact the instructor.

Where can I find course descriptions?


How do I print/download class lists/wait lists?

To download a class list you need to have an active Single Sign-On (SSO). If you have not used your SSO in over thirty days you need to contact the Department Security Administrator (DSA) to reactive your SSO.

Go to

>Instructional Tools>Class Lists

Select the Term
Type in your last name
Click the Search button

Check the box next to all of the class sections you wish to access
Under "Options" select "Download" under the Classlist(s) or Waitlist(s) column (depending on what you want).
Click "Select Sections"

Your class list(s) will download as a tab delineated file that can be opened in Excel.