- Curriculum Vitae
- Current Research
Judith M. Hughes has been teaching in the UCSD Department of History since 1975. She received her B.A. from Swarthmore College in 1962; her M.A. from Harvard University in 1963; and her Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1970. For the past twenty-five years, she has been doing research on and writing about the history of psychoanalysis. Along the way she trained as a psychoanalyst and graduated from the Adult Psychoanalytic Training Program, San Diego Psychoanalytic Institute in 2001. She is also an Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry at the UCSD School of Medicine.
- The Holocaust and the Revival of Psychological History, Cambridge University Press, 2014 (hardback and paperback).
- Guilt and Its Vicissitudes: Psychoanalytic Reflections on Morality, Routledge, 2008 (hardback and paperback).
- From Obstacle to Ally: The Evolution of Psychoanalytic Practice, Brunner-Routledge, 2004 (hardback and paperback).
- Freudian Analysts/Feminist Issues, Yale University Press, 1999.
- From Freud's Consulting Room: The Unconscious in a Scientific Age, Harvard University Press, 1994. (Nominated for the 1995 Gradiva Award.)
- Reshaping the Psychoanalytic Domain: The Work of Melanie Klein, W.R.D. Fairbairn, and D.W. Winnicott, University of California Press, 1989 (paperback edition, 1990). Italian translation: La Psicoanalisi e la Teoria delle Relazioni Oggettuali, Astrolabio, 1991.
- Emotion and High Politics: Personal Relations at the Summit in Late Nineteenth-Century Britain and Germany, University of California Press, 1983.
- To the Maginot Line: The Politics of French Military Preparation in the 1920's, Harvard University Press, 1971, paperback edition 2006.
Voices of Memory: Autobiography in the Aftermath of the Holocaust
- HIEU 136B. European Society and Social Thought, 1870-1989.
- HIEU 141. European Diplomatic History, 1870-1945.
- HIEU 150. Modern British History.
- HIEU 174/274. The Holocaust: A Psychological Approach.
- HITO 172/272. War in the Twentieth Century.
- HIGR 295. Graduate Thesis Seminar.