Skip to main content

Study Abroad

The History Department encourages its majors and minors to study abroad. No book, movie or other source can impact a student as viscerally as visiting the place where historic events took place and immersing oneself in the culture and people shaped by those events. Students are able to fulfill major or minor requirements as participants in the Education Abroad Program (EAP)Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP), or a Global SeminarThe History Department ordinarily accepts a maximum of four upper-division study abroad courses toward completion of the major, and three upper-division study abroad courses toward completion of the minor. 

Contact the Study Abroad Office at (858) 534-1123 or via email at for more information.

If you are a student interested in studying abroad, you are encouraged to meet with an advisor at the Study Abroad Office to discuss your options. Please visit Study Abroad's Advising Services page for more information on scheduling an appointment.

Before Going Abroad

Students considering study abroad must meet with the History Study Abroad Undergraduate Advisor before going abroad to discuss how study abroad coursework will fulfill requirements for the History major or minor. Students should note that:

  • courses to be applied toward the major/minor must be the equivalent of at least four quarter upper-division units at UC San Diego
  • these courses must be as academically rigorous as UC San Diego upper-division courses


Students will need to provide supporting evidence (course descriptions, course syllabi, papers, exams, etc.) of all abroad courses to be applied toward completion of the History major/minor. Most study abroad coursework will need to be petitioned upon student's return.

Returning from Abroad

Once a student's study abroad coursework has transferred (appears on the student's transcripts) s/he will need to follow the steps below to petition his/her abroad courses.

  1. Fill out an Undergraduate Student Petition [PDF] for each course.
  2. Include department course number and course title as it appears on your transcript.
  3. Attach a copy of your transcript (with the study abroad courses listed) from TritonLink to the petition. 
  4. Submit your petition and supporting evidence (course descriptions, course syllabi, papers, exams, etc.) to the Undergraduate Student Affairs Advisor who will review your materials and then forward them to the department EAP Faculty Advisor for review.
  5. You will be notified via the VAC once your petition has been approved or denied.

If you have questions about this process or require assistance with filling out the paperwork please contact the Undergraduate Advisor.

Website Improvement
Are you a History Major or Minor who has recently returned from study abroad? We'd love to have a picture of you abroad for use on this page. Please send the following to the Undergraduate Advisor:

  1. large format image(s) of you abroad
  2. full name
  3. major/minor
  4. location (country, town, province, landmark)
  5. (optional) a quote about how study abroad enriched your study of History